Start A Business

The procedure for getting a Business License

  1. Print the attached application below or contact the City of Dahlonega Planning & Zoning Department to obtain the license application for your particular business situation.
  2. Please provide the following information as well as other documentation which may apply.
    1. Copy of Drivers License
    2. Fire Dept. Inspection Sheet- Approval required for all businesses. Call: 706-482-2642
    3. Food service permit from Health dept. (Required of restaurants or if food prepared on site)
    4. Department of Agriculture License- required of grocery stores, convenience stores etc…phone #: 770-531-3973
    5. Sales Tax Number – Any questions should be directed to the Georgia Department of Revenue at 877-423-6711 or go to website. We recommend you read the State Tax Registration Instructions also listed there.
    6. The U.S. Internal Revenue Service issues an Identification Number (E.I.N.) to any business that: 1) has employees, and/or 2) plans to establish itself as a corporation, partnership, or sole proprietorship (some exceptions may apply). The telephone number to call to obtain this number or for questions concerning it is 1-800-829-1040.
    7. State license/Certification – Certain professions are required to obtain licenses/certifications from the State of GA. A few examples of these professions are: Plumbers, Electricians, Heating/Air Conditioning Contractors, Attorneys, Physicians, and Cosmetologists. Call 912-207-1416 for further information. Documentation of this certification must be presented.
  3. Please complete all pages of the application, return with the fee and any attachments. If the application is complete your tax certificate should arrive at your mailing address in approximately seven (7) days.

Sign Info: Application is available on the website or at city hall. The review process could take up to 7 days, so get your application in as soon as possible.
Water Service: To avoid interruption/termination of service be sure to apply for water service at the Customer Service desk. Water service application is available at


Occupational Tax Certificate (Business License) Procedure
Home Occupation (Home Business) Affidavit
Service Application – Commercial

Frequently Asked Questions

As a developer, who do I need to get in contact with in order to submit my water and wastewater Site Plans to EPD for review?

Sewer Contacts: Kelli-Ann Sottile Municipal Permitting Unit, EPD Wastewater Regulatory Program Email: Phone:  404-463-4945 Josh Hayes Environmental Engineer Municipal Permitting Unit, EPD Wastewater Regulatory Program Email:  Josh.Hayes Phone:  404-463-1834 Address:  2 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive     Suite 1152 - East Tower     Atlanta, GA 30334… Read Full Answer